First Horizon National Corporation and IBERIABANK Corporation to Combine in Merger of Equals to Create a Leading Regional Financial Services Company
- Creates a leading regional financial services company with significant scale at $75 billion in assets
- Combination to be strongly accretive to EPS
- Significant synergies anticipated to drive value creation and enhanced financial performance
- Pro forma company expected to have peer leading profitability metrics
- Proven strong credit culture and risk management practices
- Aligned relationship-oriented cultures committed to creating a great place to work for employees
- Expansive 11-state reach in high-growth, attractive markets across the combined footprint
- Broadens business mix, creating a strong core deposit franchise, diversified loan portfolio and differentiated revenue streams
- Scale and earnings power to invest in advanced technologies and innovation to deliver an extraordinary client experience
- Experienced combined management team with a strong history of successfully executing and integrating transformative transactions
First Horizon National Corp. (“First Horizon”) (NYSE: FHN) and IBERIABANK Corporation (“IBERIABANK”) (NASDAQ: IBKC) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which the companies will combine in an all-stock merger of equals.
Under the terms of the merger agreement, IBERIABANK shareholders will receive 4.584 shares of First Horizon for each IBERIABANK share they own. First Horizon shareholders will own 56% and IBERIABANK shareholders will own 44% of the combined company. Additionally, IBERIABANK shareholders will receive a 43% increase in their dividend after consummation of the transaction, based upon each company's current dividend per share.
Bryan Jordan, Chairman and CEO of First Horizon, said, “Our merger of equals with IBERIABANK is an exciting milestone and the logical next step in the continued successful transformation of our company. Separately, we are both formidable organizations with strong track records, great businesses and talented bankers. Together, First Horizon and IBERIABANK will create a powerful new company driven by our shared commitment to our customers, communities, shareholders and the employees we serve. We are pleased to have a partner with a complementary people-focused culture, shared values and a growth-oriented business model. Our combined new scale, deep experience in financial services and diverse business mix in the South uniquely position us to accelerate our growth and create lasting shareholder value.”
IBERIABANK President and CEO Daryl Byrd said, “This merger of equals represents an exciting next chapter for both companies. By joining forces with First Horizon, we will create an organization that has the resources to invest in advanced technologies and expand lending capacity and product offerings for our combined clients. We chose a partner who values deep relationships and is culturally aligned with our core mission, which is to create a great place to work for employees, deliver extraordinary, value-based client service, meet the expectations of our shareholders and invest in the communities we serve. Our partnership will leverage our best-in-class workforce and build on and complement the well-established strong foundations of both organizations. We look forward to bringing our companies together to better serve our clients and communities.”
- Enhanced Scale to Drive Growth – The combined company will be a significant player throughout the Southern market, with $75 billion in assets. This combination enhances the combined company’s ability to invest in advanced technologies and innovation to strengthen its business and create a competitive advantage in a dynamic market environment.
- Complementary Market Presence – The combination strengthens the competitive position in high-growth, demographically attractive Southern markets. The pro forma bank branch footprint is located in 15 of the Top 20 Southern MSAs by population and in 11 states throughout the combined footprint.
- Diversified Business Mix – The combined company will have a well-diversified revenue mix with earnings streams from unique lending capabilities and distinct fee income businesses across a broader customer base. The combined organization will offer a broader and more comprehensive suite of products and services for commercial, consumer and small business clients.
- Experienced Combined Management Team with Strong Cultural Alignment – In addition to a strong track record of successfully executing and integrating multiple large transactions, the combined management team has significant experience in leading regional banks. Together, First Horizon and IBERIABANK are committed to preserving the strong cultures of both companies to deliver superior client service.
- Significant EPS and Earnings Accretion – The transaction is projected to deliver approximately 16% EPS accretion to First Horizon and approximately 22% EPS accretion to IBERIABANK by year-end 2021.
- Substantial Cost Synergies – The transaction is expected to deliver approximately $170 million in pre-tax cost synergies, primarily driven by annual run-rate cost savings such as redundancies in overhead, bank branches, operations and computer services.
- Peer Leading Profitability – The combined company will be well-positioned to achieve peer leading profitability and operating metrics.
- Industry Leading Operating Metrics – The franchise is expected to deliver top-tier operating and return metrics with cost savings on a fully-phased in basis, including:
- ° Return on Average Tangible Common Equity of approximately 18%
- ° Return on Average Assets of approximately 1.4%, and
- ° Efficiency Ratio of approximately 51%.
New Company Governance and Leadership Team
The combined company will be headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., and will maintain a significant operating presence in all of the markets in which both companies operate today. The combined company’s regional banking headquarters will be located in New Orleans, La.
The combined company will be led by a balanced board and executive leadership team composed of members from both First Horizon and IBERIABANK. Upon closing of the transaction, the Board of Directors will consist of nine directors from First Horizon and eight directors from IBERIABANK. The new company will be led by Daryl G. Byrd as Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors and D. Bryan Jordan as Chief Executive Officer.
Leadership from First Horizon will be:
- William C. Losch, III, Chief Financial Officer
- David Popwell, President, Specialty Banking
- Susan Springfield, Chief Credit Officer
- Tammy LoCascio, Chief Human Resources Officer
Leadership from IBERIABANK will be:
- Anthony Restel, Chief Operating Officer
- Michael Brown, President, Regional Banking
- Terry Akins, Chief Risk Officer
- Beth Ardoin, Chief Communications Officer
Both companies’ longstanding commitments to serve their communities will remain central to the combined organization’s future. Collectively, the two companies have committed $10 billion to community benefit plans to increase access to financial resources and support for low and moderate income communities in the South. The combined bank will continue its investments in these and other important initiatives in the communities in which it operates.