Visiting the peaceful side of the Smokies is fun for the whole family, but it can be a real blast for kids. If you don’t plan to go to the amusement parks nearby, there are still plenty of spring activities for kids that you can enjoy together.
Quick and Casual Indoor Activities for the Kids
If you want to escape a lingering chill in early spring, or you just need a break after a long day of exploring the beautiful Smokies, there are many ways that you can have fun indoors in Blount County, including:
- Enjoying story time for preschool-aged children and younger at the Blount County Library
- Climbing around the play place at the Foothills Mall
- Checking out the free Clayton Center for the Arts on the Maryville College campus
- Going roller skating at Roller Arena Party Zone
- Trying bowling at Crest Bowling Lanes
- Catching a family fun event at the Smoky Mountain Heritage Center
- Exploring the Tuckaleechee Caverns (technically, an outdoor activity, although you’ll feel as if you’re inside while exploring the deep caves and caverns!)
- Taking a look around the Little River Railroad and Lumber Company Museum
These are some excellent options for kids of all ages if you want to have some indoor fun in Blount County this spring. But heading to the Smokies means that you are surrounded by tons of outdoor adventure, as well.
Outdoor Fun for Kids in Blount County
If you want to try some outdoor activities this spring in Blount County, there are tons of great options for kids. Try out some of the following:
- Enjoy the live music and fresh produce at the Maryville Farmers Market
- Feed the ducks at the Blount County Greenways or at Springbrook Park and Duck Pond
- Have playtime at any of the parks in the county, such as Sandy Springs Park or John Sevier Park
- Check out the Dark Island Swinging Bridge in Townsend, or go bike riding on the Shadows of the Past Trail
- Take a drive through Cades Cove
- Pet some adorable animals at The Friendly Farm
- Tube down the river in Townsend
Those are just a few ideas for getting outdoors around the Blount County area with kids if you want something quick and fun for a spring afternoon. But what if you’re trying to plan an entire day of adventure? Here is one special thing you can do in Blount County if you have kids and a full spring day at your disposal.
Special Fun for the Kids This Spring
If you and your kids are up for an adventure, head to Foothills Parkway. Just a half mile hike brings you to Look Rock and the amazing observation tower! Your kids will love climbing up the spiral staircase to the top of the tower, where you’ll all get a panoramic view of the mountains. This is an excellent way to spend a day, and the area is not as crowded as many other hiking trails nearby, making it perfect for a fun family day together. Bring a picnic and have some fun at Look Rock in Blount County!